5th July, ’17
Starbucks, Cyberhub, Gurgaon
Cycling is fun. But what’s more fun is cycling on a beautiful stretch of road.
Sadly not all roads are meant for cycling, maybe due to traffic, the road surface, dust, pollution, lighting and other factors.
On the other hand, these and similar factors, when done right, are the very reasons which make some stretches of road simply amazing:
- Road surface
- Tree Cover
- Pit Stop availability
Using these factors and based on my experience of zipping around Delhi NCR on my cycle, I have here a list of the best stretches to cycle on in Delhi.
I’ve also tried to get as rich a data set as possible by using inputs from Strava.
Golf Course Road, Gurgaon
This newly opened stretch of road has by far one of the best road surfaces in Delhi NCR. The road connects NH-8 to what is now referred to as ‘New Gurgaon’.
Flat and well lighted, with no signals, this stretch of road is excellent for people wanting to take up cycling, without the fear of traffic, trucks etc.
- Two beautiful underpasses along the stretch
- No signals
- Two 24hr Chaayos located nearby
- Deserted at night, with no cops in sight: invitation for overspeeding cars
GGN to IGI T3
Airports offer some of the best roads anywhere in the world. Well maintained, with disciplined driving and some scenic landscaping.
Also, being the Airport area, it’s extremely safe to ride.
At T3 you can park your cycle in the area near T2 employee parking and take in the views from the 24 hr cafes housed in the Metro building or at the departure area.
- One of the few places in Delhi NCR that is all hustle and bustle 24 hrs a day
- If you are the adventurous kinds, you can always hop onto a flight and truly ‘get away’
- Truck traffic post 10PM till early hours can be a major irritance at the (non-existent) GGN Toll Plaza.
GGN to CP/India Gate via NH-8
One of my favourite cycling stretches in Delhi, this route runs from Gurgaon into the very heart of Delhi.
A beautiful, slightly downhill stretch from Dhaula Kuan to 11 Murti, across Mother Teresa Crescent, Rajghat and the roundabout at India Gate are the highlights of this stretch.
Also on the return Teen Murti to Shantipath is an excellent, dead straight stretch worth trying out.
- The transition from ‘newly’ made Gurgaon to scenic and tree-filled, organized Delhi is very apparent and you can’t help but go ‘Aha’ as you cycle through Lutyens’ Delhi
- The Roundabout at India Gate literally gives you access to all parts of Delhi as they all converge here. Good place to make a pick for the next ride.
- No real cons, maybe except traffic almost throughout the day.
More to come: GFR, Noida-Greater Noida, MG Road-GGN